To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Beautiful Blackbird by Ashley Bryan

Bryan, A. (2003). Beautiful Blackbird (Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award Winner) (1st ed ed.). New York: Atheneum.

I really enjoyed reading this book, but it was completely not what I had expected. As the title reads, Beautiful Blackbird, and as I read the first few pages, I thought it would be about a black bird who wasn't accepted because of the color of his skin - after all it is a Coretta Scott King book. However, as I continued to read, I realized my backwards thought processes. This book was about everyone else wanting to be like the blackbird, the most beautiful bird in all the land. And while he says, color is only on the outside, he is helpful to give every colorful bird a small piece of him - by painting a little bit of black on each bird. I thought this was a interesting take on the how turning a difficult situation into a wonderful solution.
The way the author writes this story would keep my interest, as I read it in tone and really enjoyed it. This story is written in verse and I think kids would really enjoy this type of story too. The illustrations are colorful, as birds are colored in all different colors. The ending is interesting too: since throughout the book, all the birds want some black part of them, since the black bird is the most beautiful bird, only blackbird seems to understand, all colors together are beautiful, an at the end, as we see blackbird fly off, he has all the colors of the rainbow on this feathers - to have just a little bit of everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment