To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Stega Nona by Tomie de Paola

Chaucer, G. (1982). Chanticleer and the Fox (First Harper Trophy edition ed.). New York: HarperTrophy.
Strega Nona is one of my all time favorites. This Caldecott Honor book is written as a great tale to read about. The story takes place primarily in Strega Nona's house and later in her village. Big Anthony is the main character, as well as, Strega Nona. The problem develops when Big Anthony disobeys Strega Nona. While she went out of town to visit a friend, Big Anthony takes her pasta pot and begins to make pasta. Unfortunately, she told him not to touch anything, so when he took the pasta pot and started making pasta, he was unable to stop, he didn't have the magic to turn the pot off.  Gratefully, Strega Nona returned just in time. She wasn't too upset, but did try to teach Big Anthony a lesson - he now needed to eat all the pasta he made!  One of the most interesting aspects of this book, is the lesson that it teaches. Strega Nona didn't get upset, despite the fact he deliberately broke her requests,  but rather, tried to teach Big Anthony a lesson. 
All the Strega Nona books have the similar illustrations. They add to the description and the story line. I enjoy looking at the illustrations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment