To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Joseph Had a Little Overcoat by Simms Taback

Taback, S. (1999). Joseph Had a Little Overcoat (Caldecott Medal Book) (Library Binding ed.). New York: Viking Juvenile.
 This book is read with a purpose. It is a Caldecott Medal winner and is written beautifully for a young reader. In society today, we too often see our world as disposable. When something doesn't fit or we don't like it, we throw it away. However, in Joseph Had  a Little Overcoat  the reader is introduced to Joseph who transforms his favorite old coat into something reusable, until he no longer has anything left.  This story makes the reader think there is always good in something. Joseph continues to make smaller garments using the material that was once his overcoat.  The moral behind this book is one that should be taught to our children today, and one that I will have my classroom students read. I really enjoyed reading it. The illustrations are very colorful and add some dimension to the story line. Each page also has a die-cut of the next item Joseph will make, to help the young reader predict what will come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment