To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Doctor De Soto by William Steig

Steig, W. (1982). Doctor De Soto (1ST ed.). New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

Doctor De Soto is a mouse and a dentist. He works out of his home and his wife is his assistant. He is very successful working on all types of animals from his community. He will not, however, work on any animal that may threaten his well being. So when a fox comes knocking on his door and needs a dentist, Dr. De Soto must weigh his options: treat the fox, as he is very desperate and risk the consequences of being eaten, or keep his door closed. After much deliberation, Dr. De Soto treats the fox, despite knowing the fox has a desire to eat him! As Dr. De Soto continues to be a professional, he also wants to ensure his own safety, so after completing his repairs, Dr. De Soto and his wife come up with a plan for the fox to never eat again!

This Newberry Honor book has wonderful illustrations. Through the illustrations, William Steig was able to make his characters come to life. These illustrations add a sense of humor to the story plot, like when his wife would put him in a harness, as he worked on a wolf's tooth, or using a stick to keep the fox's mouth open.

No comments:

Post a Comment