To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chanticleer and the Fox by barbara Cooney

Chaucer, G. (1982). Chanticleer and the Fox (First Harper Trophy edition ed.). New York: HarperTrophy.
This Caldecott Medal winner was a very interesting story with a moral. I enjoyed reading about Chanticleer, who comes to life as the victim in this short story. The story take primarily in the woods, behind the widows' cottage.  Chanticleer is a Rooster, but not just any old rooster - he was the mightiest of them all.  Now the fox, on the other hand, was very clever. He caught the attention of Chanticleer, and almost without notice, tricked Chanticleer, grabbed him by the throat and took him into the woods.Of course, Chanticleers family was not about to loose him.  As they headed to rescue him from the sneaky fox, Chanticleer escaped and flew into a tree. At that point, Chanticleer realized it was better to be humble, then to "trust in flattery".                                                                             
The copyright of this book is 1958. Therefore, while I enjoyed the illustrations, I don't think they are current and would draw the interest of children. The illustrator does use color well - black and white to symbolize darkness within the story line, and color to bring out the rising actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment