To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Miss Lazar is Bizarre! by Dan Gutman

Gutman, D. (2008). My Weird School #9: Miss Lazar Is Bizarre!. New York: Harpercollins E-Books.
 Miss Lazar is Bizarre is the 9th book in the My Weird School series. These books are hilarious in AJ's description of the occupations held at his school, Ella Mentry School. In the series, AJ is the main character, he hates school - everything and anything to do with school.  Andrea Young is a girl completely opposite of AJ - she loves school and anything to do with it.  Together, they play off each other.
In this particular book, Miss Lazar is the custodian and she is always saving the day. In the beginning of the book, she saves the school from flooding after AJ's toilet overflowed, and she singlehandedly climbed the side of the building to get the tennis ball AJ threw up on the roof. One of the climax's of this chapter book is when AJ and Michael go into Miss Lazar's office to see if she has super powers. But when they sneek into her secret room, they find it stuffed with plungers - plungers of all shapes, colors, and sizes. Later, Andrea convinces AJ that Mr. Klutz is depressed so they come up with a plan to make him a hero. However, Miss Lazar saves the day again. Miss Lazar is great!

 Dan Gutman continues to write very funny stories. There are 31 books in My Weird School Series. The reason they are so popular with children is the figurative language Mr.Gutman uses throughout his book and how true to the thinking of students his books are. Choosing the right words keep this series entertaining - especially when he calls the cafeteria, the vomitorium. It lets kids see their imagination in true form.

No comments:

Post a Comment