To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold

Ringgold, F. (1996). Tar Beach (1st Dragonfly Books Ed ed.). New York, New York: Dragonfly Books

I really enjoyed the underlying message this story brought to the table. As a Coretta Scott King Award book, it portrays, through the eyes of a child, that anyone can dream and dreams can take you anywhere, indifferent of the color of your skin, or your ancestors, or even where you live for that matter. the author writes this story as fiction, however, many of the stories she tells are true but with elaboration. Cassie Luise lightfoot uses her imagination to paint the world as a wonderful place, despite the realism that she has a hard life. The title of this book, is appropriately titled Tar Beach, not because she's at the beach, but rather the roof top of the apartment complex, a favorite place for her and her family to spend time.
The illustrations in this book bring depth to the character, but also bring depth to the story line, painting almost everything from a bird's eye point of view, that is from Cassie flying high above the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment