To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Desert is Theirs by Byrd Baylor

Baylor, B. (1987). The Desert Is Theirs (1st Aladdin Books Ed ed.). New York: Aladdin.

This Caldecott Honor book is written in verse about life in the desert. While this story is not in a typical 6 step plot format, it gives the reader information on plants, animals,  and life in the desert. The reader learns about the animals in the desert, like the lizards, the spiders, the badges,scorpions,  and the gophers,  as well as plants like the  saguaro cactus. We also learn about the desert people, the papago Indians, and how they live off the desert. I thought this was an interesting book as the author tries to present you with information about living in the desert, but not in the traditional way.
The illustrations in the honor book are very interesting and help expand the conceptual knowledge of the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment