To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Frog and Toad Together by Arnold Lobel

Lobel, A. (1979). Frog and Toad Are Friends (I Can Read Book 2). New York: HarperTrophy.


Frog and Toad are best friends. In this chapter book, Frog and Toad begin to experience the acts of friendship, as well as the challenges friendship brings.Arnold Lobel writes 5 short stories, each containing the 6 plot components of a good book. I'd like to look at one such chapter, The List. The setting for this story is at Toads house. He decides that in order to accomplish everything he needs to get done in the day, he must make a list. Just like with any list, as he completes a task, he crosses it out.  As Toad goes for a walk with his friend Frog, he loses his list. Unfortunately, Toad doesn't remember what the rest of list consists of, but he does know, his list did not include running after this lost list! For the rest of the afternoon, Frog and Toad sit together. When night comes, Frog tells Toad to go to sleep, and Toad remembers that was the last thing on his to do list. Toad writes Go to Sleep, on the ground, and is finally able to go to sleep.
This book makes me chuckle every time I read it. Arnold Lobel does such an awesome job with the Dialogue in book. The conversations between Frog and Toad, would match that of a child, making it very believable. I also think Unexpected Insights are an important literary element used in this book. Like in the story Dragons and Giants. They both tried to be brave, neither were, but both thought the other one was more brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment