To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra Deedy

Deedy, C. A. (2009). 14 Cows for America (1 ed.). Atlanta: Peachtree Publishers

This Bluebonnet Award nominee is a beautifully written story about the Maasai tribe in Kenya and what they gave up to help those less fortunate than them after America was hurt by the devestations of September 11. The story is told from the point of View of Kimeli Naiyomah, a native of the Massai, who travelled to America for an education, and get caught up in the emotions and affects of the terrible day. As a result of his personal gift, his tribe also gave of themselves in an emotional way to help support people half way around the world from them.
September eleventh is such a memorable day in our history, books like 14 Cows for America, touches our hearts as we learn to understand how many people, for across the world, were touched by what happened.
The illustrations are drawn to tell the story that Kimeli tells. The use of color helps the reader feel the story, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment