To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Alexie, S. (2009). THE ABSOLUTE TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN (Trade Paperback Edition ed.). Boston: Little Brown & Co.
 I can see why The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is a New York Times Best Seller. It is well written, keeps the readers attention, allows the reader to understand the characters and feel as sense of reality, as the story is written.
As the story progresses,  we see Junior moving from his safety net, the rez, to bigger and better opportunities. But, these opportunities come at at a price, as we see new relationship developed, and old ones becoming minimized. Sherman Alexie does a wonderful job portraying the challenges that face Junior as he strives to become a better person.All is fair in love and war, when Rowdy finally accepts Junior for who he is, someone who won’t let his hope die.
I think this book is inspirational because we see so many people content to do what they do: just like Rowdy. But I think we strive to want to know or be like Junior - seeking out better opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment