To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Umbrella Summer by Lisa Graff

Graff, L. (2009). Umbrella Summer. New York: HarperCollins.

I have been looking forward to reading this for a while. Looking at the cover, I  thought this would be a really cure story: the cover draws me in right away. But, I must admit, I thought this story started of very slowly. It was hard for me to get into and really understand the story line. However, somewhere, somehow, the story line changed, and I became completely enthralled into the text and the plot that I became very emotionally connected as I read about Annie and her parents and how they come to cope with the loss of Jared. I always try to make connections with my personal life and this story really hit home. I have a 9 year old who is just like Annie.  I was hoping the story line with Mrs. Finch was more developed, I had a hard time making the connection between the fish pictures and the open umbrella? But, as a Bluebonnet Award Nominee, this was a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment