To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Dahl, R. (1961). James and the Giant Peach. New York City: Puffin.

I can't believe I missed out on James and the Giant Peach as a child. I think the story line is cute and even almost funny in parts. James started off as a malnourished boy ( not just in nutrition, but also in love), and becomes friends with characters who allow him to flourish.  While I was reading I was keeping in mind why this book could be challenged. I thought maybe the story line of James and how he feels (lonely, insecure, depressed), or how James is treated by his aunts (cold, unruly, and without love). But I was shocked to hear what the challenges were:  I read about some underlying sexual ideas, minuit references to other cultures, and even inappropriate character traits of minor characters, such as the old man who gave James the little green magic "things". I didn't like the use of ass, and thought other words could be used without losing the story line, however, the other suggestions just don't make sense. Maybe I'm naive,but I was reading for the story line, not to get hung up on every word that is written. As I think of my own children, I would have them read this - I don't think they would understand any of the challenges - except my own, with the word (ass).

No comments:

Post a Comment