To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

That Book Woman by Heather Henson

Henson, H. (2008). That Book Woman. New York: Atheneum.
This Bluebonnet Award nominee is a great read. It tells the story of a boy knows only the land he has. He is not interested in books and thinks there are many more important things to do than to sit and read. A traveling librarian come to Cal's house to drop off books to his family. Then Cal begins to think what type of person would travel to such extremes just to loan books to his family. One day, he decides to ask his sister, a book lover, to show him how to read and he begins to learn. When it's time to change out his books for new ones, he has no gift to give the riding librarian, except the gift of reading.

Heather Hanson wrote this story in tongue and the language leads the reader to critically think and draw conclusions. I enjoyed reading this book, always making the reader think. I like the message in this book too, because, everyone knows a Cal, and asks, what is is going to take to get him/her to become a life long reader?

No comments:

Post a Comment