To all my followers

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read childrens literature becuase it opens the door to explore through language.
As I publish this blog, my goal is two fold: First for myself, as I continue to explore technology, and secondly, for my classroom parents to stay informed of what's happening in our classroom.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate

Applegate, K. (2008). Home of the Brave. New York: Square Fish.

What an amazing and well written book. I continually felt myself reading every word and becoming all encompassed with the story. Home of the Brave is a Bluebonnet Award Nominee. It is written in stanza, but reads like a story. Katherine Applegate did a fine job as she draws the reader into the story of Kek and the challenges he faces as a boy just coming to America. One of the things that strikes me is how grateful he is, for everything! I love her use of  language, from the very precise vocabulary, to the use of similies and metaphors. Throughout the story, I kept wondering about Kek's mother...I'm glad it had a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment